Saturday, November 24, 2012

Red Hair and Blue Velvet


A little while back my sister went to the end all be all of estate sales. It wasn't just an estate sale, it was a vintage costume/antique shop sale. The building itself had been closed for about 20 years, so nothing has been touched for a long time. I really wanted to go, but didn't find out about it until the last day of the sale, and didn't really have the gas to drive 150 miles round trip (I'm in Columbus and the sale way in Dayton). I found it quite fortunate that my sister lives only a few miles away from where the sale was located. She said there were rooms upon rooms of vintage and antique clothing, furniture, and everything else you could possibly imagine. Had I been there I probably would have all but died. My sister got some pretty awesome things for  reasonable prices. One of the items that she procured was a blue silk velvet dress from the 1930's.







It's a longer length, with no zipper and made of an awesome silk velvet which hasn't been crushed even after all these years. It has a really detailed bodice and a great shape to it. It also a keyhole neckline that fastens with a large hook and eye. The downside of velvet is that it shows all the specs of dust that normally can't be seen on fabric.







 I wore it with awesome shoes about about 8 months ago on Modcloth. I believe they stopped carrying the brand, but they are from Aris Allen. They specialize in swing dance shoes that come in retro styles form the 30's, 40's, and 50's. I they also have sueded bottoms, which I was surprised by, but didn't mind.



 I love the how the velvet looked with the color of my hair (it's dye, I'm naturally a dark blonde). Anyway, I wore it out last Sunday because it was unusually warm for November. I belted it because I recently lost about 10 pounds and it looked a little dowdy without the belt.




 Dress- Estate Sale
Belt- New York and Comany a few years ago
Shoes- Aris Allen


No comments:

Post a Comment