Thursday, December 20, 2012

Gingerbread Cookies!

So I have been in the mood for cookies for a few days now. More specifically, gingerbread cookies. So I made some. They are quite scrumptious, let me tell you.


But it's really hard to make them soft. I find crunchy cookies quite deplorable. I am really fond of gingerbread, but in order to actually eat them, I have to make them myself. So here is my favorite recipe for them to be soft and chewy. I mixed a few different ones I saw on allrecipes.


Soft Gingerbread Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (softened)
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon water
1/3 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar


1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, and spices together.
3. In a larger separate bowl, cream butter and 1 cup of sugar. Beat in the egg, then add the water and molasses. Gradually stir the dry ingredient mixture into the molasses mixture.

I was worried that I over-beat my mixture, because the consistency was very thick, but it turned out really well. Make sure it is mixed well.

It should look like this:



4. Shape dough into small-ish balls, then roll them in the leftover sugar.




5. After that, place them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment or brown paper, then flatten them slightly (they don't spread very much, so they will only be a little larger than the amount they are flattened).

6. Bake for 8 minutes for supreme chewiness, or a minute or two longer to be slightly less chewy. Remove the paper from the pan (with cookies on them - be careful not to spill it) and let them cool for a few minutes. Remove them and put on a plate to serve, or when they are almost all the way cool, place in an airtight container, so they will retain their softness.

Enjoy your delicious, soft, chewy molasses gingerbread cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment